Wednesday 28 December 2011

Favourite mainstream comic of the year.

I've been following Sweet Tooth from the offset and am enjoying the tale and the telling of it, but this year's surprise for me has been Journey Into Mystery, written by Kieron Gillen. I must confess to not having read much of Mr Gillen's mainstream output but decided to give this a go following some favourable words on either the Tales From the Parent's Basement or the Burnt Weiners podcasts (I think it was the latter but it may have been both), and 'Wow'. Kieron has really injected something new and interesting into the Marvel universe with the re... well I'm not quite sure how you classify it, let's say ... reincarnation of Loki. There's just so much to enjoy here and I did, on the back of this, go out and buy the Thor - Ultimate Collection (all tales once again written by Kieron). Very enjoyable and it does set the background nicely to the more enjoyable (to me) Journey Into Mystery, which I now have the excuse to re-read.
Damn... I'll have to pick up some Trades of his X-Men comics now ... and I thought my days of reading X-Men was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment